Rolling Huts

Rolling Huts
Rejuvenate

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Arrival of Autumn

As autumn arrives, I find myself gazing longingly at my stash of yarn that I have accumulated over the summer months.  Colors and textures picked up and chosen on days when it was too warm to even think of beginning a project. But now with the crispness in the air, it seems to be the right time pick one of those skeins up and design the perfect cozy cowl, scarf or shawl. In this case, I will choose a shade of orange, mimicking the color of the leaves on the maple trees.  A lovely lace pattern will complete the design and all one needs is the choose how long you want the scarf to be.  I like to make mine extra long, as the double wrap keeps your neck cozy on cold autumn days. 

As the needles click together, knit, purl, yarn overs, the pattern begins to form.  Seeing the feathered lace start to appear, my fingers move more quickly, wanting to complete several repeats of the pattern.  The fire flickers in front of me as I become lost in the repeats of the pattern. Relaxation washes over me as the scarf grows longer.  While I carry my knitting with me always...it is the perfect companion at basketball games and practices, the time on the couch in front of the fire, is the knitting time I enjoy the most.  There is a zen like quality to the simpleness of each stitch.  It is not about the finished product but rather the process uses in getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment